Over time, your faucet will exhibit signs of wear and tear, such as water leakage, decreased water pressure, or loose handles. In most cases, there’s no need to be alarmed in these situations. Quick and cheap DIY kitchen faucet repair is often enough to resolve these issues.
However, if the problem is beyond your skills, contacting a professional like Jolly Plumbing, Drains, Heating & Air for help is necessary. In this blog post, we’ll uncover which kitchen faucet issues you can resolve with a DIY repair, how to do it, and when to seek a professional.
Why Kitchen Faucet Repair Is Crucial
You will never understand the invaluable impact faucets have on your daily life until one is broken. A fully functional faucet makes your life easier and more convenient — plus, it saves you a lot on water bills.
In contrast, neglecting your water faucet can encourage numerous issues, such as:
- Water Waste: A leaky faucet can waste a significant amount of water over time, contributing to environmental concerns.
- Increased Bills: If you don’t address issues promptly, your water bills can soar due to wastage, not to mention the cost of repairs can increase when the problems worsen.
Common Kitchen Faucet Problems
Here are some of the most common kitchen faucet problems you can quickly solve.
A leaky faucet is one of the most common kitchen faucet problems. It occurs when water drips continuously from the spout or base of the faucet.
The most common causes of a leaky faucet are worn-out or damaged O-rings, seals, or gaskets. Over time, these components can degrade, allowing water to escape.
Low Water Pressure
Low water pressure can make it challenging to perform everyday tasks efficiently, such as washing dishes or rinsing vegetables. Various factors, including a clogged aerator, mineral deposits in the faucet, or issues with the water supply line, can cause low water pressure.
Loose handles can be annoying and make it difficult to control the water flow and temperature. This issue typically results from loose or worn-out screws or other components that connect the handle to the faucet.
DIY Fixes for Your Kitchen Faucet
Now that you understand the common problems, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and get to work. Here’s what you’ll need and step-by-step instructions for each issue.
Tools You’ll Need
Before you begin any DIY faucet repair, ensure you have the following essential tools:
- Adjustable wrench
- Plumber’s tape
- Replacement O-rings, gaskets, or seals (if needed)
- Aerator cleaning brush
Step-by-Step Repair Instructions
If you’re dealing with a leaky faucet, here’s what you can do:
- Turn off the water supply to the faucet.
- Remove the faucet’s handle by loosening the screw or set screw.
- Access the cartridge or valve, which houses the O-rings and seals.
- Examine and replace any damaged O-rings or seals.
- Reassemble the faucet in reverse order.
- Turn the water supply back on and check for leaks.
If low water pressure is your issue, here’s what to do:
- Remove the aerator at the tip of the faucet spout by twisting it counterclockwise.
- Soak the aerator in vinegar to dissolve any mineral deposits.
- Clean the aerator using an aerator cleaning brush.
- Reattach the aerator by twisting it back onto the spout.
- Turn on the faucet and check for improved water pressure.
Loose handles are relatively easy to fix. Here’s what you can do:
- Remove the handle by loosening the screw or set screw.
- Tighten any loose components within the handle, such as screws or connections.
- Reattach the handle and ensure it’s secure.
When To Call a Professional
While these DIY fixes can resolve many kitchen faucet issues, there are times when it’s crucial to call in the experts. Here are some indicators that it’s time to contact professionals:
- Persistent leaks
- Complex repairs
- Outdated or rusting faucets
- Issues with water quality
Hiring a professional plumber offers several advantages, such as technical expertise. Plumbers have the training and experience to diagnose and resolve complex faucet issues.
Plumbers can also identify and address potential future issues, saving you from more extensive repairs down the line. A professional’s work is typically guaranteed, giving you peace of mind that the problem is resolved effectively.
Maintaining a functional kitchen faucet is essential for your daily life and budget. While you can fix some common faucet issues with quick DIY repairs, it’s crucial to recognize when to call the experts.
For complex faucet problems and professional repair services, don’t hesitate to contact Jolly Plumbing, Drains, Heating & Air. Our team has the expertise and experience to ensure your kitchen faucet functions smoothly, saving you time and money in the long run.
Keep your faucet running smoothly. Book your appointment with us today!