Have you ever been to a friend’s house and noticed how amazing their bathroom looks? From the sleek fixtures to the modern vanity, it can be hard not to feel a bit envious. But one element can often stand out above all else: the sink.
The bathroom sink is an essential part of any good design plan. It offers both practicality and style in one package. But many don’t realize how much work goes into installing one correctly.
We’ve created this beginner-friendly guide for anyone looking to boost their bathroom aesthetic with a new sink. Whether you’re tackling your first DIY project or simply want some tips on elevating your space, get ready to make your dream bathroom come to life.
Choosing the Right Bathroom Sink
The first thing you’ll do is to choose a sink that fits your style and needs. We recommend creating a checklist of your preferred features to narrow down the selection. Here are some things to consider:
- Size and shape: The size and shape of your sink will depend on the dimensions of your bathroom. Smaller bathrooms may require a more compact sink, while larger spaces can accommodate more extensive options.
- Budget: Sinks come in various materials and prices, so it’s a good idea to consider your budget before making any purchases.
- Style: Do you prefer a contemporary look or something more traditional? There are plenty of options, so take the time to find one that complements the rest of your bathroom’s decor.
There are several types of bathroom sinks to choose from, such as:
- Pedestal: This sink is supported by a single column and has a classic, timeless look.
- Wall-mounted: They are perfect for small spaces since they don’t take up any floor space.
- Vanity: These sinks add an elegant touch to your bathroom and provide extra storage for towels and other bathroom items.
Installing Your Bathroom Sink
After getting the right sink for your bathroom, it’s time to start the installation process. Here are some steps you can take to ensure a successful bathroom sink install project:
- Turn off the water supply: Before beginning any plumbing project, you must always turn off the water supply to your home.
- Measure and mark: Measure where the sink will be installed and use a pencil to mark the area for reference.
- Secure the sink: Place the sink in its designated spot and secure it with bolts.
- Connect the drain: Use a PVC pipe to connect the sink’s drain to the waste line. Make sure all connections are tight and leak-free before moving on.
- Install faucets and handles: Secure the taps and handles to the sink according to your manual’s instructions.
- Turn on the water supply: Once all connections are secure, turn on the water and test for any leaks.
- Finish the installation: Finish off your project by adding any additional fixtures or accents to complete your dream bathroom look!
Avoid common mistakes when installing in the process of a bathroom sink install. These mistakes include:
- Not using the right measurements for your sink
- Not understanding where to place the drain and shut off valves
- Forgetting to double-check that all connections are tight
It’s also important to remember that you should always wear protective eyewear, gloves, and other safety gear while working with plumbing tools.
Upgrading Your Bathroom Sink: Beyond Installation
Like any part of your home, your bathroom sink will eventually need some TLC. Consider investing in a cleaning and maintenance regimen to keep it looking its best for years to come.
For instance, adding a sink organizer would add some storage space to your bathroom. This keeps things neat and adds an extra touch of style.
Also, consider installing a water-saving faucet or aerator to reduce your water consumption and save money in the long run.
Your sink needs will change over time, and you want to make sure it’s in an upgradeable condition once it happens.
Take the Next Step for a Better Bathroom
That’s it! Your bathroom sink will need some tinkering here and there, but knowing what to do and where to start makes the process so much easier. Keep this guide in mind for the next time you’re ready to tackle a bathroom sink project.
If you need help, call Jolly Plumbing today. Our experienced and qualified professionals can help you do the job right the first time. Get in touch with us now for a free, no-obligation estimate.